It’s been waaaay too long!!

Catch up time!

The last time I was here was back in September when I posted about my entry for the Great Cakes Soapworks challenge – the Clyde Slide, that was a fun technique.

Fast forward to now and a lot has happened since then:

  1. I’ve finally passed the accountancy exam I’d just sat in September – though I failed that sitting, I passed it when I sat it again in December (that was the 3rd sitting!). Also sat and passed (first time) the next exam so am now exactly halfway through my journey to become a chartered accountant.
  2. I’ve moved house but don’t have the soaping room in the garage, YET! Love our new house! Also just got a new car!
  3. But, most importantly – I’ve made lots of soap!!

September to present day soaps

This is going to be a very quick journey through the soaps I’ve made since my last post along with brief details of each.

First up was the hidden feather swirl for which I did a tutorial for the SMF October challenge. It was my first attempt at this technique so I was very happy it turned out!

IMG_0001

The tutorial for the technique can be found here: SMF October challenge – hidden feather

And that was the last soap I made in 2015 before we moved.

Onto 2016!

The first soap of the new year was my first castile, made on the 3rd Jan with plans to let it cure for 12 months. No colours or fragrances, just water, olive oil and lye.

 

Also in January I took part in the SMF January challenge which was black and white soaps. There was no specific technique to be used for this challenge so I attempted to make some black embeds but my FO caused massive acceleration  and my base colour was so thick I could pour it around them very well – as a result the tops came off on some of them.

I had another go and decided to stick with a simple hanger swirl – I was happy with this result.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

One last soaping adventure in January was the tutorial for the Feb SMF challenge – the spin swirl. I had many issues recording this tutorial ranging from the memory on my phone getting too full halfway through filming (and not realising until I finished!), dropping my phone in the soap and acceleration! As a result I think I ended up making 4 batches = lots of soap to be given away still!

Here are the various batches:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The tutorial for this one can be found here: SMF Challenge Feb 2016 – spin swirl

Fast forward to March where the SMF challenge was whipped soap, the unique property of this soap is that it floats!! Whilst my soap did fit the brief of the challenge and floated, I didn’t like how it looked so I rebatched and added some as confetti. It still floated in its rebatched form.

The tutorial for this unique soap can be found here: SMF Challenge March 2016 – whipped soap

I have a friend with sensitive skin that can’t really use most of my soaps but after a fair bit of research I formulated a recipe I think she will be ok with, it has 20% neem oil – boy does that stuff stink! She has a horse though and they use neem on the horses apparently so she doesn’t mind the smell! Good job really as the EO blend of lemongrass, cedarwood and tea tree don’t really mask it! Did an ITP swirl for this one.

I can’t actually remember what technique I was going for here, I just know it didn’t work because the FO caused a fair bit of acceleration!!

I really like this next soap, everything about it makes me happy – the swirl went exactly as planned and the FO is sherbet lemons – it smells amazing!!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

My mum came to visit for the weekend in March so we made soap together. the idea had been to do a drop hanger swirl but the soap got a little too thick to really get the movement in the swirl I’d been hoping for. I liked my mum’s colour choices though.

IMG_0056IMG_0057

We’re almost upto date now! Next comes the April SMF challenge which was a specific type of hanger swirl, we called it the Petra hanger swirl after the soaper that inspired it. I had 3 tries at this technique and felt I didn’t truly achieve the look I wanted – I wished my butterfly was a bit more substantial, instead it was quite flat. I still managed to place 3rd!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The tutorial for this technique can be found here:Part 1 – SMF Challenge April – Petra hanger

Part 2 is here: Part 2 – SMF Challenge April – Petra hanger

And that is me upto date. I have signed up for the Great Cakes Soapworks May challenge which is the teardrop soap. I will be back very soon with the details of how this went for me!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s